To commemorate the centenary of the Armistice, and to mark the restoration of the war memorial, a public service of remembrance will be held in the afternoon on 11th November 2018 at 3pm at Lenton Road, The Park, Nottingham, near the gatehouse to Nottingham Castle, close to NG1 6GJ. A short walk from Old Market Square, Nottingham city centre.(Please be in attendance in reasonable time ahead of the start time of 3pm.
The memorial is 10 minutes or less walk away from bus and tram stops in and around Old Market Square or on Maid Marian Way. Walk up Friar Lane towards Nottingham Castle and walk past the red telephone box beside the Castle Gate House. On street parking nearby is limited, and ‘pay and display’. There is a large multi-storey car park less than 10 minutes walk away at Mount St, Nottingham NG1 6HG
The road in front of the memorial will be closed to vehicles allow the service to take place.
History of the Memorial
The complete memorial includes the former nurses’ homes, once called Memorial House, now Royal Standard House. Conceived as a memorial to all of the war dead from Nottinghamshire. The memorial was funded by public subscription at the end of the Great War, and opened in 1923. The memorial bronzes at the site refer to the homes above, which came into NHS ownership in 1948, and were eventually converted to private residences following the closure of the General Hospital in the 1990s. The whole memorial, including the former nurses’ homes, is a Grade II Listed Building.
More information is here:
Working closely with the owners, the Nottingham Park Conservation Trust commissioned restoration work of the wall and bronzes in time for the centenary of the 1918 Armistice.
Restoration work has been funded by:
- War Memorials Trust
- The Nottingham Park Conservation Trust
- Royal Standard House & City Point
- Nottingham Civic Society