Arnold Local History Group has been investigating Arnold during World War One. This has included Arnot Hill House, in Arnot Hill Park, Arnold, which was set up and run as an auxiliary hospital by the St John Ambulance and British Red Cross in 1913.
The house, which was privately owned, was sold in 1919 to the council and remains as council offices today.
The information will be presented to the public in a three-week exhibition at Arnold library from the 4th October 2014
“While many projects focus on those that have died, we want to focus on those that survived and tell their stories.”
The group, which has around 200 members, has had over a year to conduct the research, but has countless research papers to sieve through.
“Many of our members are already looking through the archives and we have 7,000 photos to analyse which were donated by two local historians.
“A year may seem a long time, but there was a lot to do.”
The main job has been to track down the relatives of people in Arnold who were involved in the war.
“A town’s history is very important and it gives another perspective on the First World War which is often forgotten.”
The auxiliary hospital treated hundreds of injured soldiers after their efforts in France during the war.
Many survived and went on to work and live within Arnold’s community. The group still wants to trace their families.
“This exhibition will ensure we do not forget what people from our community did during the First World War and the impact it had on our area.”
The exhibition runs from the 4th October for 3 weeks with a Heritage weekend on the 18th/19th October featuring speakers artefacts, demonstrations and re-enactors telling the stories. Entry is free.