At the Mansfield Museum, Leeming Street, Mansfield Sat 2nd Feb to Sat 2nd Mar 2019
The Kirkby and District Archaeological Group has joined with the Old Mansfield Society, Sutton Heritage Society, Pinxton and South Normanton History Society and railway historians to celebrate this wonderful piece of our heritage. Thanks to a Heritage Lottery Fund grant we are celebrating with exhibitions, talks, walks, book, leaflets, website, archaeology, teaching materials, activities and heritage boards along the route.
A Few Facts
- The Mansfield and Pinxton Railway opened 13thApril 1819
- The route went 7½ miles from Mansfield Wharf, over the viaduct at Kings Mill, past Kirkby Hardwick, over the Summit, through Kirkby, Portland Park and New Selston before arriving at the Pinxton Wharf
- The railway brought coal into Mansfield, and exported sand, stone and malt, amongst other items, via the Cromford Canal link at Pinxton Wharf
- The opening celebrations included a marching band, a bonfire in Mansfield Market Square, the ringing of church bells, a procession, and feasting!
- The wagons were pulled by horses, not engines, until the Midland Railway took it over in 1849
- The rails were laid on stone blocks, not wooden sleepers and were “fish-bellied” in shape
- A passenger carriage was added in 1832 to take people from Pinxton to Mansfield Market on Thursdays
- The line has been in continuous use since 1819, now with the Robin Hood Line closely following the Kirkby to Mansfield section, this makes it the oldest continuously operating railway line in England – and a cause for celebration!
For further information please email firstname.lastname@example.org