The Wolds Historical Organisation is thirty years old in 2017. To commemorate this anniversary the members have compiled a book about various aspects of the history of the Wolds villages, from the Anglo-Saxon era onwards. The title is Discovering the Wolds.
There are twenty-six articles covering a wide variety of topics. Among the longer contibutions are:
- Anglo-Saxon boundary shrines of the Leicestershire Wolds
- John Noon of Burton Hall
- The Inn at Prestwold
- The Burton Parish Constable 1810–1836
- Sale of a Wymeswold Farm in 1839
- The Loseby family
- The early years of the Wymeswold Bowling Club
- The Lymeswold cheese myth
- A look back at thirty years of the WHO
245 x 175 mm, 100 + iv pages, 28 colour photos, 79 b&w photos; 9 line drawings, 2 maps, paperback.
Copies have been supplied to G G Granville’s in Wymeswold and the petrol station in Burton. There are also copies available from Joan in Burton (phone 88055) and Bob in Wymeswold email@example.com) or 881342.
More information on WHO’s web page: